The map below and field names are based on a section of the 1843 Tithe Map. The payment of a tenth of all local produce (a Tithe), to clergy and later to lay individuals, was established in Anglo Saxon times. An 1836 Act of Parliament enabled tithes to be converted into money payments and Tithe Maps with accompanying schedules were produced. The details (e.g. land ownership and tenancy, field sizes and names etc.) shown in these documents are a rich source for the local historian.
Field names give an insight into the history of a landscape, sometimes remaining unchanged through many centuries as testified in old documents. Some field names on the map correlate with proven Roman occupation, “Wall Lock” fields being the site of Roman buildings associated with tile works and “Brick Kiln” field with Roman kilns. Another “Wall” field name is seen in the "Gaol Wall" fields and this plus the unusual shape of their boundary warrant further investigation. This is an on-going project for HLHS. Several "Pavement" fields are situated alongside the road leading west from “Gaol Walls”; this "Pavement " is written of in a 1562 survey. In some parts of the country ‘pavement’ names indicate Roman roads but we have no proof of this in Holt despite the existence of the Roman tileries
The grid shape of the planned medieval town of Holt, with its narrow burgage plots and associated crofts is evident on this map. “Top Park” and “Bottom Park” fields can be seen adjacent to the Castle and possibly indicate the boundary of its bailey. Norden’s survey of 1620 mentions "the Little Park adjoining the Castle". The remains of the medieval fish ponds are visible in "Great Pools” field but the adjacent fields called "Pools, Holes and Cae Holes", "Fisco field", “Fisco Field Acre” and "Fishpool Field” indicate their possible extent.
Some field names also hint at former owners (Croxtons, Jenkins, School and others), former usage (Bean,Clover, Cherry Orchard), size (Five Acre, Two Acre etc.) and quality of soil (Easemany). The names appear to be mostly English but with some Welsh influences.