Membership Renewal For 2011-12 is due on 1st April. New Membership cards will be available for collection at the April meeting, Thursday 28th, to those who have let me, Brian, have their subscription. It would help if you could let me have it before the April meeting.
Holt Pageant DVD is now available Order your copy at £9 from Bev Mcconville 01829 271873
Holt Pictorial History book on CD is now available Order your copy at £5 from Paul Hinchliffe 01829 270388
Archeological Fieldwalking in Holt - Dec 3rd Holt Local History Society is undertaking a series of Field Walks to discover more about the early days of our historic village. These will be led by Phil Cox, a local archaeologist, and follow on from the successful Field Walks in November and last Autumn when many fragments of Roman pottery were found.
The next date is Saturday Dec 3rd, from 10 am to 1 pm meeting several hundred yards down Chester Lane on the left next on to Swn y Coed bungalow, weather permitting.
Holt LHS welcomes helpers to walk the fields to see what is on the surface with no digging required - please call Brian Payne 01829 270562 or Ann Main 07974 650182 for info.
This incredible record details the entire tree planting undertaken by thousands of schools, parishes, organisations and homeowners in 1936/7.
Trees have been used for centuries to celebrate and mark historical and royal occasions. Local resident, John Cubitt, found records relating to Holt on pages 333 and 334with details of the planting conducted beside the River Dee, on Church Green and along Church Walk.
The record shows the following:
By the side of the River Dee: Two clumps consisting of lime, sycamore, red oak, Arolla pine, larch and red dogwood planted by the Misses Stevenson of Dee Bank.
On Church Green: 2 golden elm, 2 chestnut, 3 lime, 1 silver maple, 2 silver birch, 2 maple, 1 plane, 2 copper beech planted by J. Youde Esq., Chairman of the Tree Planting Committee.
Along Church Walk: 2 tupil trees presented by E. Bellis Esq. J.P.
Local historian, Brian Payne, has also sent us a photograph which shows the tree planting on the Church Green in 1937. Rupert Capper is on the right of the photo. Harry Jones remembers being there [but he's not in the photo].
2012 - HLHS 20th Anniversary We are delighted that we are to celebrate this Anniversary next year. It was in 1991 that Mrs Mary Scott and her late husband, Tom, felt that Holt being such a village with a long history might benefit from the formation of a Local History Society. Several local people showed an interest and we held an open meeting on November 28th to launch the idea. This resulted in HLHS commencing a series of lectures in March 1992.
Our first President was Arthur Tapp and Mr Harry Jones our first Chairman. A committee was formed and the rest is history!.
We have celebrated many landmarks over the years with several exhibitions in the Kenyon Hall. In 1994 a cohort of Roman soldiers came to the village and also a Civil War camp was positioned on the Cross.
We soon published a guided Village Trail, which has been improved and waymarked in subsequent years.
For the Millenium we published 'A Pictorial History of Holt'. The 1000 copies quickly sold and sent all over the world. Only a few copies remain and the book is still available on DVD. We are now involved in research projects and are encouraged that preservation of Holt Castle is becoming a reality.
We are looking forward to holding events during next year and linking with Holt Primary School to encourage children to take an active interest in the history of their delightful village.
Field Walking HLHS is undertaking a series of archaeological Field Walks to discover more about the early days of our historic village. The next is SATURDAY 3rd December, from 10am to 1 pm and will be l;ed bu Phil Cox, a local archaeologist. We will meet down Chester Lane outside Swn y Coed bungalow.
We would welcome more helpers to walk the fields to see what is on the surface - please call Brian Payne or Ann Main for information.
Summer Outings 2011 On our first outing (Thursday 16th June) we met Cynthia Burek in Flint for an enlightening walk and talk around the Castle followed by a tour of the town where key features and histories were highlighted. Flint Castle was the first of a series of castles built during King Edward I's campaign to conquer Wales - part of the Iron Ring. The Castle was constructed between 1277 and 1284 of Millstone Grit ( a course grained sandstone). The site for the castle was chosen for its strategic position and being pone days march from Chester. Today the castle is maintained by Cadw with free access. On the 9th to 11th of December the castle will be awash with colour for yje Illuminata.
On Saturday 30th July we met at Acton Park Estate with Alister Williams (local historian) and walked by the lake and the perimeter of the old Acton Park Estate - a very informative talk and thanks to Alister.
HLHS Summary of the activities of the Reasearch Sub Group in 2011
A magnetometry survey of Holt Castle grounds has taken place with John Emmet and Peter France of Wirral Archaeology. The results have given considerable detail re the location of towers and walls and have also confirmed the existence of a channel from the river into the base of the south-east tower as shown on an early 17th century plan of the castle.
Ongoing: Log all mag maps onto base map of castle area with John Emmet
LiDAR data, old and modern maps, satellite imagery, aerial photography and documentary research has indicated possible changes to the remains of the castle, the course of the river and the use of land near the castle.
Following last year’s discovery of a scaled plan, with text, of Holt Castle in the National Museum of Wales a further plan has been unearthed at the Athenaeum Club in Liverpool this November.
Meetings with Steve Grenter of WCBC Heritage Services has enabled the group to communicate results of their work to aid in future work on the consolidation of the castle and identification of sites for investigative trenches.
Ongoing: Keep HLHS involvement in WCBC activities
More LiDAR data is being acquired to extend further the nine 1km squares we exhibited at the Archive Evening in April. The new area takes us further up and down the Dee valley and to the South West where interesting earth work features are visible.
Field and river bank walking by group members, including Peter France and John Emmett have identified several stone features in and near the river Dee
Ongoing: A 3rd field walk took place on November 5th with the 4th scheduled for December 3rd at 10:00 am. All 4 walks will then be documented by Phil Cox’s Caer Alyn group.
A bottom and side scan sonar survey of the river Dee between Alford and Crewe Hall has been completed by Ruth and Bernie McDonald of ‘Sailing through time’
A report has now been received and many potential targets for further investigation have been identified. This survey was paid for by HLHS.
Ongoing: HLHS members are now matching fifteen river survey highlights to land based archaeology knowledge after which further research will be prioritised.
Holt Castle - a note from Steve Grenter, Heritage Services Manager (Wrexham County Borough Council) Work has now started on the project to conserve and interpret the castle remains. A survey company has been hard at work carrying out a detailed topographical and photogrammetric survey of the castle and its surroundings. As well as providing a permanent record of the castle priot to conservation work satrting, this will also form the basisi for casting the work, which will hopefully now begin in the spring. We had hoped to start the excavation and consolidation phases this year (2011) but that proved impossible due to the unavailability of grant aid. We are currently working on school work packs to encourage school visits to the monument and a leaflet (the first of three) will be produced before the end of March.